If you are unable to work due to an injury or illness and facing an uncertain future, all is not lost. You may have TPD (Total and Permanent Disablement) cover under your superannuation policy.
Here are six tips to help you get things moving in the right direction.
6 Tips To Access Your TPD Superannuation
- The starting point is to find out how many superannuation policies you have and which ones have TPD cover. Some policies can have hundreds of thousands of dollars of cover, whereas some can be quite limited in the benefit available to you.
- There is a good chance your super policy will contain insurance for you in the event that you are permanently unable to work due to an accident or illness.
- The insurance policy contains an important definition of total and permanent disablement and they vary from policy to policy. Generally, they say something like: 'you are unlikely to be able to engage in gainful employment for which you are reasonably qualified by education, training or experience'.
- Most arguments involve whether you are unable to return to work, having regard to 'your past work experience'. This issue needs to be handled very carefully and requires the assistance of a solicitor experienced in handling insurance claims under TPD policies.
- Medical evidence needs to be obtained and presented to the TPD insurer to demonstrate that you meet the definition of 'totally and permanently disabled for work'. This evidence is critical and usually your claim will rise or fall based on the quality of this evidence.
- Having acted for (but mainly against) insurance companies in the past 29 years, experience tells me that your prospects of success will often hinge upon how well the insurer's key questions have been answered.
We will assess your case for free, usually in our initial telephone conversation with you.
Most of our cases are handled "No Win, No Fee". This means that we will be paid for our professional work at the conclusion of your matter and only if your case succeeds.
To find out if you have a case - call our Director Mr Dean Spanner and benefit from his nearly 30 years of helping people through difficult times. Servicing all of Queensland through our offices in Toowoomba (07) 4639 2944 and Brisbane (07) 3236 9169.