It is important for you to look after yourself after a separation. We can look after your legal interests, but your self care is just as important.
Separating from your spouse can be one of the hardest decisions you may ever face in your life.
However, sometimes a separation can be the most liberating experience of your life. Below are some tips to help you rebuild your life if you were to separate from your spouse.
- Feel how you want to feel. There are no rules as to how you “should” feel after a separation. Feel sad if you want to. Feel happy if you want to.
- Talk to a counsellor/psychologist. Sometimes we all need some objective outside help to reconcile our feelings. There is no shame in reaching out for help.
- Talk to your friends. Your friends are your friends for a reason. They are there to have fun with and laugh with. But a true friend is also there to provide you with a shoulder to cry on and to listen to you without judgement.
- Your life is not over. This too shall pass. Whilst at the start it may seem like your life as you knew it is over, with the help of good friends and a counsellor/psychologist, you will begin to see the positives that life has to offer. It’s your life now. Join that art class you’ve always dreamed of. Take that trip overseas you’ve always held off or drive that fast car (within the applicable speed limit of course) you’ve always admired.
- Make new friends. There are many people who have gone through a separation. Whilst their story may not be identical to yours, you have a common experience. New friendships bring new experiences and new opportunities.